Published at: 19th March 2021
– Latest Kia SUV crowned best car in Britain by leading real-world motoring title
– Carbuyer celebrates ten years of delivering clear, jargon-free car reviews
– New website, new editor, new presenters
The Kia Sorento has been named the best car in Britain by Carbuyer, as part of the UK’s most buyer-focused new car awards.
Kia’s newly-launched seven-seat SUV impressed Carbuyer’s panel of judges with a remarkable blend of space, tech and value for money, which it says combines to form “a versatile SUV that’s nipping at the heels of premium rivals”.
The awards, announced today in an online presentation, also mark the 10th anniversary of Carbuyer, a brand that today stays firm to its ethos of offering in-depth, definitive and jargon-free advice, to help in-market car buyers buy the right car at the right price. It remains the only automotive title to be accredited by the Plain English Campaign.
To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Carbuyer has also announced the Ford Fiesta as the winner of its very special Car of the Decade award. Carbuyer’s judges concluded that over the last 10 years, no car has better represented the needs of the real car buyer. Britain’s most popular car remains as relevant today as it ever has been.
Today’s awards announcements are the culmination of a year of change and huge investment into the Carbuyer brand. Last month, its website, carbuyer.co.uk, saw the biggest overhaul in its history, with a robust new platform delivering best-in-market user experiences across desktop, tablet and mobile as well as superior search engine optimisation. And in spite of the challenges, 2020 has seen more people than ever use the Carbuyer website. Never before has Carbuyer made it easier for in-market car buyers to research their next car.
Carbuyer has also rebooted its video offering, with new and improved video content. The team has also recruited a new presenter, Nicola Hume, who fronts videos alongside recently-appointed editor Richard Ingram. The video channel, at youtube.com/carbuyer continues to go from strength to strength and is fast closing in on 600,000 subscribers.
At the same time, Carbuyer’s quarterly print title provides an easy at-a-glance guide for those who prefer the look and feel of a magazine.
Today’s awards are baked into the fabric of the Carbuyer website, where the Best Car section provides a clear, concise and definitive guide as to the very best cars of a given type. They reflect the real cars that real people search for and then buy, making them Britain’s most buyer-focused awards.
Paul Philpott, President and CEO of Kia Motors (UK) Limited commented: “For the Sorento to win this award is an outstanding achievement, and one which fills our UK team and dealer partners with pride and encouragement. This vehicle embodies just how far we have come as a brand since entering the UK market nearly 30 years ago, offering high quality, efficient and desirable products to a growing customer base. The Sorento winning this award is high praise indeed and credit that’s been duly earned.”
Lisa Brankin, managing director, Ford of Britain & Ireland, said: “To elevate the Ford Fiesta to Carbuyer’s car of the decade is an honour backed by car buyers. They have made Fiesta the UK’s top selling car every year since 2009. Today Fiesta’s mild hybrid engine and modem to connect with the Ford Pass app are serving 2020 customer needs.”
Richard Ingram, Carbuyer editor said: “This year has been the most challenging that we’ve faced, but we’re continually impressed that car manufacturers have continued to launch models that people really want to buy. The Kia Sorento is the perfect example; a car that offers the style, space and range of engines that means it is the undisputed king of the new-car market.
“For Carbuyer’s Car of the Decade, we looked for a single model that defined the automotive landscape – a car that does exactly what it says on the tin. The Ford Fiesta has been the UK’s best-selling car every year since Carbuyer launched and is a byword for British motoring. It’s a brilliant all-rounder and truly deserving of our coveted Car of the Decade trophy.”
Carbuyer Best Car award winners 2021
- Carbuyer Car of the Year – Kia Sorento
- Used Car of the Year, in association with BuyaCar – Vauxhall Astra
- Carbuyer Car of the Decade – Ford Fiesta
- Best City Car – Hyundai i10
- Best Small Car – Renault Clio
- Best Small Family Car – Renault Captur
- Best Family Car – Skoda Octavia
- Best Large Family Car – Kia Sorento
- Best estate Car Skoda – Octavia Estate
- Best Small Company Car – Mercedes A 250 e
- Best Company Car – Tesla Model 3
- Best Large Company Car – BMW 530e
- Best Sports Car – Mazda MX-5
- Best Convertible – MINI Convertible
- Best Hot Hatchback – Ford Fiesta ST
- Best Pickup – Ford Ranger
- Best Small Electric Car – Renault ZOE
- Best Electric Family Car – Volkswagen ID.3
- Best Large Electric Car – Jaguar I-Pace
- Best Hybrid Toyota Corolla – Touring Sports
- Best Plug-in Hybrid – Skoda Superb iV
- Best Large Plug-in Hybrid – BMW X5 xDrive45e
- Best Customer Service – Lexus
All the details can be found on the Carbuyer.co.uk website, where you can also watch the virtual awards show, at: carbuyer.co.uk/awards-2021